Pages

Labels

Thursday 19 April 2012

Edward Weston & Imogen Cunningham.

The first thing that strikes me when viewing Weston's work is his fantastic use of curves. I have looked through a good twenty or so images so far and I have not come across a singles straight line. And to be honest, I like it. Lines can make images very symmetrical, not that i think that's bad. Take the photographer Joel Tjintjelaar I noted previously in this course. I love his work and he focuses on curves and straight lines and this image is a fantastic example of lines making images look symmetrical. Weston's use of curves make his images almost look 'erotic' no matter what the subject. This is very fitting though considering some of his work is of the naked body.
Form is a big factor in Weston's work. It's almost as though he wants you to question what the image is of, like this image is a perfect example. Weston uses lighting to very effectively enhance the form and texture of his subjects and now I can see why my tutor compared some of my assignment three images to Weston though. My pepper image has the same qualities if you like, using the lighting and shadow to highlight the natural curves and texture of the pepper.


When it comes to Imogen Cunningham, I have a different perspective viewing her images in comparison to Weston. Although there are the same qualities of using the lighting and shadows to highlight the form of the subject and again with strong use of curves. I particularly like Cunningham's botanical photography and can tell she likes pattern and texture. It shows through beautifully in her images and the detail is highlighted really well through her use of shadows. I really like the calm simplicity of this image, the silkiness of the petal visible as though you can almost feel it, compared to this one which appears rough and almost prickly.

The use of tones within the monocrome images of both these photographers is fascinating and has really highlighted to me the effect of shadow, lighting and different tones when using black and white photography to enhance the texture,shape and form of any given subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment